The Spengler Family Suits Up In New 'Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire' Set Photo

The February 2024 issue of Empire Magazine is available on newsstands today, and with it, fans can find a sneak peek at Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire, alongside comments from director Gil Kenan.

The Spengler Family Suits Up In New 'Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire' Set Photo

Returning the franchise back to New York City, the Spengler family will pick up the Ghostbusters mantle, patrolling the streets inside the slightly updated Ecto-1 and wielding unlicensed nuclear accelerators, all in an attempt to thwart the second ice age brought on by an entirely new threat, said to be set in a “post-Gozerian era.”

Comments from Kenan suggest that the foursome, which includes Paul Rudd’s Gary Grooberson, embrace their new roles, with the change in scenery significantly influencing both the narrative and the family dynamic.

“We see them step up to the challenge of ghostbusting as a family in a completely new context and on a much larger canvas,” adding, “In ways big and small, the new setting drives the story and our characters.”

With last-minute reshoots finishing earlier this month, Frozen Empire is heavily within the post-production phase, set to arrive in theaters in just over three months over Easter weekend. Calling this portion of the process his “favorite,” Kenan would proclaim, “I feel like I know what the movie is now,” continuing:

“Every day I see new bits of animation and hear new bits of music. I’d be lying if I didn’t say that this was my favorite part of the process. You watch all the seeds that you planted start to flower.”

Much like Afterlife, Frozen Empire will see the return of franchise originals Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, and Ernie Hudson, with previous comments from Kenan remembering the first day of directing, expressing his fondness for their characters, and confessing his deep attachment to the Ghostbusters franchise.

“I remember there was a moment halfway through the first morning of directing one of the big scenes where I looked at the monitor and just caught myself with the biggest grin ever,” continuing, “Finally, it dawned on me that I was calling ‘Action!’ and ‘Cut!’ on some of my very favorite characters in movies, working on a big cinematic scale on something that I really cared about. I try to hold on to that feeling. I still have it now, finishing the film.”

To read the full feature, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire story – speaking to Gil Kenan about the Death Chill, the OG Ghostbusters, and returning to New York, pick up the February 2024 issue of Empire Magazine on newsstands now.

Original source: Ghostbusters News.

Comments